Tried this recipe out a couple nights ago and I’m kind of in love. I’ve always been a huge fan of Mexican food and my favourite thing to eat from most Mexi places are burrito or taco bowls. This dish is kind of like that but SO much yummier. You can make a large serving at one time and eat it for several meals in a week. I’ve been thinking about meal-prepping for lunches lately so I save some money on food and this has definitely been the deciding factor. My favourite foods are hearty, rich in flavour, and comfort food soft so this is essentially my perfect meal. I’ve definitely been inspired lately to try different recipes out so keep your eyes peeled for more food posts!
I found this recipe on Pinterest (as I do most recipes that I try) which I have both linked and embedded down below for you guys to see. The only thing that I really did differently with mine was that after I mixed the cooked beef, tomatoes, corn, and rice together, I put it all in a baking dish as I didn’t have big enough of a skillet to cook it in. This was actually a pretty brilliant idea as we were able to make a larger serving than we would’ve in a skillet. After topping the entire dish with cheese we baked it until the cheese was melted to gooey perfection. We added all the other toppings (salsa, jalapenos, cilantro etc) on top once the cheese had cooled a bit.
You literally have no idea how delicious this was. And the best part is, it tasted even better the next day @_@. UNF, I die. I’ll link the original recipe here. It is a one skillet dish and they actually cook the rice with beef broth in the skillet which is amazing. I changed it just the tiniest bit so I’ll throw my (barely different) version that I recreated down below!
- onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning (1 or 2 of the packets)
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fire roasted corn kernels, drained
- brown rice, cooked
- shredded cheese
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocado
- Chopped Cilantro
- add onions and garlic to heated skillet and fry quickly until fragrant
- add in beef and cook until no longer pink
- drain the beef and onions mixture
- put beef back into skillet and add tomatoes, corn, and taco seasoning. (Don't worry if you put in LOTS of taco seasoning. The rice will greatly dilute any saltiness)
- cook for 5 minutes, constantly mixing
- put cooked rice in baking dish
- put the contents of the skillet onto the rice and mix
- place as much shredded cheese as you'd like on top
- bake for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted to the consistency of your preference
- add any taco toppings on top and serve!
Hope you guys enjoyed this post,